Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support can help pay your rent and/or Council Tax. From 11 October 2017 Universal Credit is being rolled out across Doncaster and you may have to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit for help with your rent. You will still need to make a claim Council Tax Support if you receive, or are making a claim for, Universal Credit.
You can claim Housing Benefit:
- If you have more than 2 dependant children who live with you, or
- You are the qualifying age to claim Pension Credit*, or
- You are living in supported or exempt accommodation.
If the above do not apply to you; you need to claim Universal Credit to help with your rent. There is more information about this on the Gov.uk Universal Credit page.
*If you are aged 63 or older you can use this link to check if you have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit on Gov.uk
Use the Calculator below to find out how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you could get.
Alternatively, go straight to our online form to apply. You can use the form to claim either, or both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.
If you have already partially completed a form and are coming back to finish the application, please visit the link below and re-enter your ten character unique code to retrieve your application.
If you need help to complete the online application form, call into the Council's Civic Office in Waterdale, Doncaster or any Customer Service Centre or St Leger Homes Area Housing Office.
If you are unable to apply online, for example, if you need help but are housebound, contact the Benefits helpline on 01302 735336 and ask for an application form to be sent to you.
Information and Proof
Our claim form tells you what information and proof we need. Do not delay making a claim, even if you do not have all the proof we need. You can send the proof you have straight away and send the rest within one month of making the claim.
Please make sure you show us original documents; we cannot accept photocopies or scanned documents. You can call into the Council's Civic Office in Waterdale, Doncaster or any Customer Service Centre or St Leger Homes Area Housing Office. We will take the details we need and give you the documents back straight away. You can post proof to us and we will photocopy your documents and send them back to you straight away. Please do not send valuable items through the post.
Your benefit decision
When we have dealt with your claim, we will write and tell you:
- how much benefit or support you will get
- when your award will start from
- how long we will pay you for
- what information we have used to work out your benefit, such as what income and savings we have used
- what you should do if you think your benefit or support is wrong
You will normally get our letter within seven days of the date we dealt with your claim.
- How we work out your benefit
- Download (172KB)
- What to do if you think your benefit is wrong
- Download (49KB)
Paying your benefit and support
If you pay rent to the council, we will pay your housing benefit into the rent account you have with St Leger Homes.
If you pay rent to a private landlord, we will normally pay your housing benefit every four weeks. This is usually paid directly to you, although in some circumstances it can be paid to your landlord.
We pay housing benefit direct into a bank account (by BACS).
If you pay Council Tax, we will pay your Council Tax Support into your Council Tax account.
Changes in your circumstances
You must tell us straight away if any of your circumstances change. For example, you must tell us if:
- you, or your partner, stop or start getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit (Guarantee) or any other state benefit
- your wages, or your partner's wages go up or down
- you or your partner start or stop work
- any other income you receive goes up or down
- the number of people living with you changes
- the circumstances of people living with you changes
- any of your children leave school
- you move (this includes a flat or room at the same address)
- you have another child
- your rent changes
This list is not exhaustive. You can phone us to report a change on 01302 735336 or write to us at the Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU. If you prefer you can print off and complete the form below.
- Change of Circumstances Form
- Download (142KB)
If the change in circumstances means you would be financially worse off, it may be that we can pay you more benefit. However, usually we can only pay you the extra from the date your circumstances change if you tell us about the change within one month. If you don't tell us within that time, we will normally only pay you the extra from when you tell us.
Checking your benefit
We can carry on paying your benefit or support for as long as your circumstances stay the same.
We will need to check the information we are using to work out your benefits from time to time. To do this, we may phone you, visit you or send you a form to fill in. You must give us the information we need when we contact you so we can carry on paying you benefit.
- Change of Circumstances Form
- Download (142KB - PDF)
- NP1 - Claim for a notice period
- Download (187KB - PDF)