Direct earnings attachment

What is a direct earnings attachment?

If we pay a claimant too much Housing Benefit we can ask their employer to recover the overpaid amount direct from their salary. Employers are required to make deductions from the salaries of their employees and the amounts deducted are then paid to the Council to repay the overpayment.

If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit and need more information about overpayments, or their recovery, please see the page 'What happens if we pay you too much benefit'.

Information for Employers

The Employer's Guide can be downloaded from this page, it provides advice on what an employer needs to do if they are asked to implement a direct earnings attachment. It explains:

  • how to operate a direct earnings attachment

  • how to work out how much should be deducted from the employee's earnings

  • how and when to make payments to us of the amount deducted

  • employer's responsibilities under the law

The guide is intended to help an employer understand the main points about direct earnings attachments but it is not intended to be a full description or statement of the law. For further information, please see the legislation attached to this page.

If you are an employer and have any questions not answered by the guide, please telephone us on 01302 735336 (Option 3) or email us at: 

Payment schedule for direct earnings attachment

A blank payment schedule must be completed and sent to the council giving details of the amounts deducted from the employee's wages. The completed schedule should be attached to any cheque payments or sent in separately when payments are made by BACS.

The 'DEA payments schedule' document is attached to this page to download and print. The full procedure is explained in the Employer's Guide.

For further information, please contact us: 


Last updated: 15 May 2019 08:24:17