What a Mobility Travel Pass is, whether you qualify for a pass, how to apply or renew your pass, and what to do if you lose your pass.
With a Mobility Travel Pass you can travel for free:
- on buses, trains and trams in South Yorkshire at any time.
- on Northern Rail trains between South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.
- on any off-peak (9.30am to 11pm) and all day at weekends and bank holidays on any local bus journey in England.
Apply for or renew a Senior Pass
Do I qualify for a pass?
There is no minimum age restriction to applying for a Mobility Travel Pass. However, persons over 66 years of age who are not registered blind or partially-sighted, or who do not require the assistance of a carer to travel, are not eligible and should apply for a Senior Citizens National Concession Pass.
You will qualify for a Mobility Travel Pass if you live in Doncaster and you meet any of the following conditions:
- You have a disability or injury that has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- You are registered as having a learning disability with Social Services
- You have been, or would be refused, a driving licence on medical grounds (other than persistent misuse of drugs and/or alcohol)
- You are deaf or without speech
- You do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of your arms
- You are registered blind or partially-sighted
- You receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- You receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with an award of at least 8 points in either “Moving Around” or “Communicating Verbally”.
- You receive a war pensioner's mobility supplement
- You have been issued a Blue Badge parking permit
Standard Mobility Travel Pass
If you have a blue badge or your receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or the enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) then you must apply for a pass online otherwise please complete the Mobility Travel Pass Claim form using the link below:
The Mobility Travel Pass Application is made online; Doncaster Digital Venues is a list of locations in Doncaster where you can access a computer to claim.
Once we have all the information we need, we will write to you and let you know whether you are entitled to a Mobility Travel Pass. If you are entitled, to obtain your pass you must either; apply for a pass online attaching a scanned image or a photograph of the award letter and other evidence they need, or complete an application form.
The completed application form and relevant evidence, including the award letter, can be placed in a dropbox in the Doncaster Interchange, or posted to;
11 Broad Street West
They will arrange for a pass to be sent to you, usually within seven to ten working days.
The 'with carer' pass
A carer may be entitled to travel for free with you if you already qualify for a pass and also receive any of the following:
- higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
- higher rate Attendance Allowance
- enhanced rate living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
To apply for a ‘with carer’ pass, please provide proof of your Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.
The carer can be anyone helping you to travel, such as a relative, friend, support worker or professional carer. It does not have to be the same person every time.
How long does my pass last?
The expiry date is shown on the front of the pass. Your Mobility Travel Pass normally lasts for up to five years, or until you reach 66 years of age, whichever comes first.
Passes can also be awarded for more than five years (but will still end when you reach 66 years of age) depending on your medical/ disability reasons for qualifying. Each application will be considered for such an extension.
If you are blind or partially-sighted, or continue to meet the conditions for a pass and you need a carer to travel with you, your pass will be issued 'for life'.
How do I renew my pass?
The pass can be renewed up to a month before it runs out. You will need to complete a new Mobility Travel Pass Claim application form, which can be found in the downloads and resources section of this page, and provide proof of your disability. For information on getting the form to us, and when you can expect to hear from us, please see refer to the how do i apply section of this page.
What if I lose my Mobility Travel Pass?
Contact Travel South Yorkshire by phone on 01709 515151, post (address is above) or dropbox at the Doncaster Interchange. A charge is made for issuing a replacement.
You should also contact Travel South Yorkshire if your pass is stolen, damaged or your address details change. Stolen passes will be replaced free of charge if you have a police crime reference number.
Further details can be obtained from Travel South Yorkshire.