With a Mobility Travel Pass you can travel for free:
- on buses, trains and trams in South Yorkshire at any time.
- on Northern Rail trains between South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.
- on any off-peak (9.30am to 11pm) and all day at weekends and bank holidays on any local bus journey in England.
There is no minimum age restriction to applying for a Mobility Travel Pass. However, over 65s who are not registered blind or partially-sighted, or who do not require the assistance of a carer to travel, are not eligible and should apply for a Senior Citizens National Concession Pass.
You will qualify for a Mobility Travel Pass if you live in Doncaster and you meet any of the following conditions:
- You have a disability or injury that has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- You are registered as having a learning disability with Social Services
- You have been, or would be refused, a driving licence on medical grounds (other than persistent misuse of drugs and/or alcohol)
- You are deaf or without speech
- You do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of your arms
- You are registered blind or partially-sighted
- You receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or the enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- You receive a war pensioner's mobility supplement
- You have been issued a Blue Badge parking permit
To apply for a Mobility Travel Pass, fill in an application form, this can be downloaded from this page. As part of the application you may need to complete a 'Request for medical information' form, this can be downloaded from this page. If you need our help to fill in the forms, call 01302 735336 or visit the Civic Office, Waterdale.
The completed application from should be returned to:
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Section
Large print versions of the application form and medical information form are also available and can be downloaded from this page.
Once we have all the information we need, we will write to you and let you know whether you are entitled to a Mobility Travel Pass. If you are entitled, to obtain your pass you must either; apply on line at www.sypte.co.uk attaching a scanned image or a photograph of the award letter and other evidence they need, or complete an application form.
The completed application form and relevant evidence, including the award letter, can be placed in a dropbox in the Doncaster Interchange, or posted to;
11 Broad Street West
They will arrange for a pass to be sent to you, usually within seven to ten working days.
The 'with carer' pass
A carer may be entitled to travel for free with you if you already qualify for a pass and also receive any of the following:
- higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
- higher rate Attendance Allowance
- enhanced rate living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
To apply for a ‘with carer’ pass, please provide proof of your Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.
The carer can be anyone helping you to travel, such as a relative, friend, support worker or professional carer. It does not have to be the same person every time.
How long does my pass last?
The expiry date is shown on the front of the pass. Your Mobility Travel Pass normally lasts for up to five years, or until you reach 65, whichever comes first.
Passes can also be awarded for more than five years (but will still end at 65) depending on your medical/ disability reasons for qualifying. Each application will be considered for such an extension.
If you are blind or partially-sighted, or continue to meet the conditions for a pass and you need a carer to travel with you, your pass will be issued 'for life'.
How do I renew my pass?
The pass can be renewed up to a month before it runs out. However, you will need to complete a new application form and provide proof of your disability.
What if I lose my Mobility Travel Pass?
Contact Travel South Yorkshire by phone on 01709 515151, post (address is above) or dropbox at the Doncaster Interchange. A charge is made for issuing a replacement.
You should also contact Travel South Yorkshire if your pass is stolen, damaged or your address details change. Stolen passes will be replaced free of charge if you have a police crime reference number.
Further details can be obtained from Travel South Yorkshire.
Older Person's/ Senior Citizens Bus Pass
Once you reach eligible age, you can apply for an older person’s bus pass for free local travel throughout England, subject to peak-hour time restrictions.
- Mobility Travel Pass Claim Form
- Download (56KB)
- Mobility Travel Pass Claim Form Large Print
- Download (87KB)
- MTP Medical
- Download (77KB)
- MTP Medical Large Print
- Download (78KB)