Hate crime is defined as any incident, which may or may not constitute a criminal offence, which is perceived by the victim or any other person, as being motivated by prejudice or hate.
What is hate crime?
Usually such crimes are motivated by an offender’s hatred of someone because of their:
- race, colour, ethnic origin or nationality
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
Reporting hate crime
You can report a hate crime by completing the following form:
- Hate crime report form
- Download (461KB)
or at any of our reporting centres. A report can be made by anyone who is aware of the incident, not just the victim.
What form does hate crime take?
Hate crimes can take many forms, including:
- verbal abuse
- threats/intimidation (such as groups congregating)
- neighbour disputes
- physical attacks
- criminal damage, such as offensive graffiti
- offensive gestures
- harassment (such as unfounded malicious complaints, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes)
- abusive/obscene calls
- sending of offensive material
- bullying at school or in a workplace
A number of hate crime reporting centres are spread across the borough and offer an alternative reporting service for victims, should they wish to report at a location other than a police station.
Any reports taken at a centre will be treated in the strictest of confidence. Specially-trained staff will be able to provide the necessary skills to deal with the incident and provide the appropriate help and support to the victim should they require it:
Hate crime reporting centres
• Civic Office Waterdale Doncaster, DN1 3BU Tel: 01302 736000
• Doncaster School for the Deaf Leger Way, Doncaster, DN2 6AY Tel: 01302 386700
• The Hub Doncaster College Chappell Drive, Doncaster, DN1 2RF Switchboard: 01302 553553
• Mexborough Library John Street, Mexborough, S64 9HS Tel: 01709 582037
• Changing Lives 21 Cleveland Street, Doncaster, DN1 3EH Tel: 01302 309800
• St Leger Housing Office Sandbeck House, St James Street, Doncaster, DN1 3AS Tel: 01302 862862
• St Leger Housing Office Holmescarr Centre, Grange Lane, Rossington, Doncaster, DN11 0LP Tel: 01302 862862
• St Leger Housing Office The Bridge Centre, Bridge Street, Thorne, Doncaster, DN8 5QM Tel: 01302 862862
• SYCIL Bentley Resource Centre, High Street, Bentley, Doncaster, DN5 0AA Tel. 01302 592400
• Thorne Library The Vermuyden Centre, Fieldside, Thorne, Doncaster, DN8 4BQ Tel: 01405 746969
• Victim Support Office 41 College Road, Doncaster, DN1 3JH Tel: 01302 365531