Hate crime is defined as any crime or incident that is motivated by hostility on the grounds of race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or transgender identity.
What is hate crime?
Usually such crimes are motivated by an offender’s hatred of someone because of their:
- race, colour, ethnic origin or nationality
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
- gender identity
What form does hate crime take?
Hate crimes can take many forms, including:
- verbal abuse
- threats/intimidation (such as groups congregating)
- neighbour disputes
- physical attacks
- criminal damage, such as offensive graffiti
- offensive gestures
- harassment (such as unfounded malicious complaints, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes)
- abusive/obscene calls
- sending of offensive material
- bullying at school or in a workplace
Reporting hate crime
A report can be made by anyone who is aware of the incident, not just the victim. You can report a hate crime in any of the following ways:
- by completing the appropriate online form below:
- by printing, completing and returning the paper form to any of our reporting centres
- by calling our 24/7 telephone hate crime reporting line on 01302 736666
- by visiting any of our third party reporting centres and reporting to a member of staff. A list of our reporting centres is displayed below.
A number of hate crime reporting centres are spread across the borough and offer an alternative reporting service for victims, should they wish to report at a location other than a police station.
Any reports taken at a centre will be treated in the strictest of confidence. Specially-trained staff will provide the appropriate help and support to the victim should they require it.
Hate crime reporting centres:
- Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU Tel: 01302 736000
- Doncaster School for the Deaf, Leger Way, Doncaster, DN2 6AY Tel: 01302 386700
- The Hub, Doncaster College, Chappell Drive, Doncaster, DN1 2RF Tel: 01302 553553
- Edlington Library, Martin Wells Centre, Thompson Avenue, New Edlington, Doncaster, DN12 1JD Tel: 01302 736470
- Live Inclusive, Bentley Resource Centre, High Street, Bentley, Doncaster, DN5 0AA Tel: 01302 592400
- Mexborough Library, John Street, Mexborough, S64 9HS Tel: 01709 582037
- Changing Lives, Oracle House, 2-5 Princes Street, Doncaster, DN1 3NJ Tel: 01302 309800
- St Leger Housing Office, Sandbeck House, St James Street, Doncaster, DN1 3AS Tel: 01302 862862
- St Leger Housing Office, Mexborough Business Centre, College Road, Mexborough, S64 9JP Tel: 01302 862862
- St Leger Housing Office, The Bridge Centre, Bridge Street, Thorne, Doncaster, DN8 5QM Tel: 01302 862862
- St Leger Housing Office, Adwick Town Hall, Windmill Balk Lane, Adwick-le-Street, Doncaster, DN6 7AN Tel: 01302 86286
- Thorne Library, The Vermuyden Centre, Fieldside, Thorne, Doncaster, DN8 4BQ Tel: 01405 746969
- Victim Support Office, 41 College Road, Doncaster, DN1 3JH Tel: 01302 365531
- 2017 Hate Crime Reporting Form-1
- Download (239KB)
- Hate Crime Strategy 2017 - July - September Delivery Plan Update
- Download (26KB)
- Due regard statement- hate crime strategy 2017-2021
- Download (71KB)