Each local authority is required to conduct a review of its polling districts and polling places every four years as part of Section 18 of the Representation of the People Act 1983.
A review of the polling districts and polling places used for elections within the Doncaster district was completed in January 2015.
What did the review cover?
The review required the council to:
- seek to ensure that all the electors in the constituency have such reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable in the circumstances
- seek to ensure that so far as is reasonable and practicable, the polling places they are responsible for are accessible to all electors, and when considering the designation of a polling place, must have regard to the accessibility needs of disabled persons
Please note: the following could not be considered as part of the review:
- the changing of any district ward boundaries (which can only be done by statute following an electoral review carried out by the Local Government Boundary Commission). This review is concerned only with the administrative subdivision of a ward into polling districts which are then assigned polling places
- or, the changing of polling districts in areas that are also aligned with parish boundaries and therefore cannot be amended during this review (these can only be amended during a Community Governance Review).
The review process
The review included a period of consultation on the existing polling districts and polling places with representations and comments sought from:
- persons/organisations with expertise in relation to access to premises or facilities for persons with any type of disability
- BME and Faith groups
- Members of Parliament
- elected members
- Parish councils
All representations received were given full consideration and are detailed in the document below:
- Polling Stations Review
- Download (630KB)
What happens next
A report outlining the proposals was debated at the meeting of the Elections and Democratic Structures Committee in January 2015. A Notice of Conclusion of the Review (attached below) has now been published which sets out the changes to polling districts and polling places.
- Notice of Conclusion
- Download (183KB)
The polling arrangements will be kept under review.
The next full review of polling districts and polling places will take place in four years time.
For further information, please contact the electoral services team on:
- 01302 734398
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Explanation of terms used in the review
- polling district - a geographical subdivision of an electoral area such as a county division or a district ward within which a polling place is designated
- polling place - an area or building in which a polling station is usually located and can be a complete polling district
- polling districts can be created as an electoral requirement but also as a means to provide a more conveniently located polling station for the electorate