The objective of this qualification is to
- Support learners in becoming first aiders in the workplace.
- The content of the qualification meets the HSE requirements for training first-aiders in those organisations that have identified that staff need to be trained to this level within their first-aid needs assessment.
- The qualification covers knowledge such as the
- roles and responsibilities of the first aider,
- how to assess an incident and recognising signs and symptoms of injury and illness.
- The qualification also covers first aid skills in CPR and use of an AED and assisting a casualty who is suffering from major injury and illness such as chest injuries, spinal injuries and anaphylaxis.
In line with guidance provided by the HSE, the qualification supports/approves work place first aiders for a period of 3 years, after which point learners will need to retake the course. In addition to this, it is recommended that learners refresh their knowledge annually.
How is the qualification assessed?
This qualification is assessed by the following two methods:
- Practical assessment - Learners must demonstrate the practical first aid skills, as indicated within the Highfield assessment paperwork.
- Theory assessment - Learners must answer a series of multiple-choice questions as outlined within the Highfield assessment paperwork.
3 days (18 GLH)
18-20/09/18 at Rutland House Doncaster
15-17/01/19 at Mary Woollett Centre Doncaster
05-07/03/19 at Mary Woollett Centre Doncaster
The qualification provides learners with a valid first aid at work certificate that supports the requirements from the HSE approved first aider for a period of 3 years. After this period, learners are required to retrain. The duration of the retraining course is 12 hours over 2 days; the course duration may be increased to meet additional learning needs if required, but not reduced.
Re qualification : (all delegates must have a valid in date Level 3 Award in First Aid At Work Certificate to complete the re qualification course)
25-26/09/18 at Rutland House Doncaster
12-13/02/19 at Mary Woollett Centre Doncaster
19-20/03/19 at Mary Woollett Centre Doncaster
Cancellations: Any cancellation 10 working days or less to the course commencement date will incur a cancellation charge