What it is, asbestos disposal and booking appointments can all be found on this page.
Asbestos is a natural material made up of tiny fibres. These fibres are usually safely fixed in another material like cement or insulation board, but they can be released into the air by cutting, breaking, drilling or sanding.
Please remember that any work on asbestos, dismantling and transporting may generate airborne asbestos fibres.
In order to minimise risk to your family’s health we would strongly recommend that you contact a suitably qualified, licensed asbestos removal contractor for advice.
For advice relating to anything other than a garage roof and wall sheets, guttering or fall pipes you should contact a UKAS accredited asbestos laboratory for sampling/testing advice or contact a commercial operator. There will be a charge for these services.
Further advice can be obtained from the HSE and in the links at the bottom of this page.
Doncaster Council does permit the free disposal of asbestos (cement bonded only) e.g asbestos used in the construction of garages, sheds, gutters and fall pipes, etc. We will only accept asbestos generated as a result of DIY work undertaken by you at your own home. Restrictions apply.
Asbestos is only accepted at our Armthorpe Household Waste Recycling Centre site having been pre-booked with the council, further information can be found below.
The Armthorpe site is available to all Doncaster residents ONLY, not businesses, trade or commercial operators. Any asbestos produced from works carried out by a trades person will not be accepted, in these instances it is the legal responsibility of the trader to dispose of the waste they have generated as part of their activity.
To use this service, you must:
- be a Doncaster resident
- have dismantled and removed the structure containing asbestos yourself from your own property.
- Deliver asbestos in a vehicle which meets the site acceptance criteria
Breathing asbestos dust is dangerous. Any work on cement bonded asbestos may generate asbestos dust. In order to minimise risk to your family’s health we would strongly recommend that you contact a suitably qualified and licensed asbestos removal contractor.
However, should you wish to dismantle and dispose of the asbestos yourself we advise that the following precautions are taken to minimise the risk:
Further advice can be obtained from the HSE and links at the bottom of this page.
- Avoid creating dust from cement bonded asbestos.
- Never sand down or wire-brush cement bonded asbestos.
- Do not use power tools on cement bonded asbestos.
- Avoid breaking cement bonded asbestos.
- When working with cement bonded asbestos it is advisable to wear disposable overalls and face mask. Check that they are suitable for use with asbestos. You can get advice from safety equipment centres. After use, these should be disposed of as asbestos waste.
- When removing cement bonded asbestos thoroughly wet it first, particularly around any fixings. Use an ordinary hosepipe or watering can for this, not a high-powered water jet. Add detergent to the water if possible.
- If fixings are difficult to undo, try to cut them off rather than break the asbestos.
Only asbestos loads that are pre-booked will be accepted and must meet the below criteria:
- maximum of eight sheets no larger than 6ft x 4ft or equivalent per property
- all sheets must be double wrapped in 1000 grade builders polythene and taped/sealed
- broken pieces of asbestos must be double wrapped/bagged in 1000 grade builders polythene and taped/sealed
- Failure to wrap the asbestos properly will result in the asbestos not being accepted on site.
Booking an appointment
All residents wishing to dispose of asbestos will be required to pre-book a visit by no later than 2pm on the day before they wish to visit or by 2pm on Friday for a Saturday, Sunday or Monday visit. Please be aware that bookings cannot be made on Bank Holidays, therefore any bookings should be made in advance of the Bank Holiday.
Due to site restrictions and health and safety implications the council has set specific day and time slots.
The time slots will ensure there is always a member of staff available to accept asbestos and minimise potential delays on site.
The information we will require when booking an appointment will include:
- Phone Number (*Required)
- Vehicle make, model and registration number
- Quantity of asbestos to be disposed of i.e. bags and/or sheets (packages).
For more information and to book an appointment, please
- call 01302 736000
- it is not currently possible to request this service online, but we are developing an online form which will be made available on this page shortly
Booking an appointment does not guarantee that there will be capacity available on the day specified. The Council will endeavour to contact you in advance of the scheduled time slot should there be capacity issues and re-arrange the appointment.
Disposing of asbestos
Our asbestos disposal site is:
- Armthorpe Household Waste Recycling Centre, Armthorpe Road, Doncaster, DN2 5QB
- open 7 days a week from 8.30am - 7pm
- closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.
On arrival at the site, inform a member of staff that you wish to dispose of asbestos and follow the directions given.
You will be responsible for removing the material from your vehicle and placing it in to the asbestos skip on site, to avoid bags and/or packages breaking, material must be placed in the skip carefully and not thrown in.
Material cannot be accepted on site that is too big for the container or is inappropriately packaged. Failure to ensure that the asbestos is correctly wrapped as per the above guidance will result in the material being refused and you will be asked to leave site and make another appointment.
More information and useful links
Authorised businesses should be used to collect, recycle or dispose of hazardous waste (asbestos). You should check the Environment Agency to check that waste carriers are registered and waste sites have environmental permits.
We are not responsible for the content of external sites
- Maintaining a safe workplace page
- Hazardous waste page
- HSE Asbestos advice
- Asbestos Removal Contractors
- Asbestos Information Centre
- email: customer.services@doncaster.
- tel: 01302 736000