Information about what you can put in your black bin and collections.
What you can put in your black bin
- rubbish that cannot be recycled
- kitchen / food waste (wrapped to avoid smells)
- nappies (securely wrapped in bags)
- pet bedding including all types of cat litter (bagged up to avoid smells)
- plastic pots i.e. yoghurt pots, margarine tubs
- light bulbs (not energy saving bulbs)
- Hygiene/Offensive waste i.e. waste produced from human hygiene e.g. incontinence waste (securely wrapped in bags)
- wrapping paper and gift bags
- any items that can be recycled (please use your recycling bin, box or bags or take them to your local recycling centres)
- carpets and underlay (can be taken to your local recycling centre)
- electrical items
- business / trade waste
- soil, rubble, bricks, building waste
- large / bulky items, furniture etc
- energy saving lightbulbs (can be taken to your local recycling centre)
- hazardous waste
- liquid waste
When will my black bin be collected?
Black bins are collected every two weeks. For full details about when your collection is, please see visit your waste and recycling collection calendar below:
What should I do so my black bin is collected?
- Put your bin out to the edge of your property by 7am on your collection day and take it back in when emptied.
- All waste items must be presented inside your black bin with the lid firmly closed, failure to present the bin with the lid closed may result in the bin not being emptied. Ensuring that your bin lid closes fully also helps prevent littering, smells and vermin.
- If your black bin lid is not firmly closed, then the waste preventing it from closing will be put back in the black bin after it has been emptied.
- Waste presented at the side of your bin will NOT be collected and may be treated as fly-tipping which is illegal. Fly tippers could be fined and even receive a prison sentence.
Changes to collections:
- recycling and refuse collections will now be made on a Tuesday to Friday, including Good Friday which is a normal working day for SUEZ, this means that your bin will be collected on the same day throughout the year. The exception to this will be at Christmas and New Year, please refer to the following page for changes to your collections: Bank holiday recycling and refuse collections.
- updates and information on collections during periods of bad weather will be posted on our website, Facebook and Twitter.
If your bin hasn't been collected by 5pm on your scheduled collection day, or it hasn't been emptied completely, please use our online form which can be found by clicking the following button:
We can help with collections if you are unable to take your bin or box to the kerbside (pull out service) because of disability or ill health.
Is your bin missing or damaged?
You can request a new bin, or ask for your bin to be repaired, on our dedicated webpage, which can be found by clicking the button below:
- Green bin - garden waste
- Blue bin - recycling
- Green box - glass
- A-Z of recycling and disposables
- Bulky item collections
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- tel: 01302 736000