Our purpose is for there to be strong, active and resilient communities across the whole of Doncaster, effectively building on and using their strengths and assets to work in partnership to improve their quality of life and well-being, to make their neighbourhoods safe and supportive and able to tackle the issues that matter to them.
About the Communities Neighbourhood Service
The core offer falls into the following areas of work:
- Safer communities - tackling anti-social behaviour and lower level community safety issues within neighbourhoods
- Well-being, early intervention and prevention - a community and family approach to supporting people to live in their own homes and be supported within the community
- Stronger Families – the local co-ordination of the stronger families programme
- Community capacity and engagement - stimulating local community activity, increase volunteering and support communities to do more for themselves
The focus of the service is:
- bringing services and communities together to understand needs and work together to find solutions to meet these needs
- prevention and early intervention, particularly to those most vulnerable and preventing issues from escalating such as anti-social behaviour, supporting independence and improving health and well-being
- enabling people and communities to do the best for themselves by building on their strengths
- building capacity in communities, individuals and families to do more for themselves, to take on community assets, deliver activities and services
- building strong, inclusive and cohesive communities and families
- getting people active both physically and socially, developing lower level community groups, networks and organisations thus building social capital working with others to enhance skills and access to work and other opportunities such as volunteering
There are 88 individual communities across Doncaster and there are 21 Electoral Wards.
The Borough of Doncaster has been spilt into ten neighbourhood teams based on 1, 2 or 3 electoral wards. The ten teams are grouped into three areas – East, West and Central
The neighbourhood teams are responsible for working in partnership with a range of agencies to deliver a joined up approach that addresses needs identified within an area as well as more cross cutting and complex work around community tensions and cohesion.
The communities within the East area are aligned into eight ward areas:
- Armthorpe ward
- Edenthorpe and Kirk Sandall ward
- Finningley ward
- Hatfield ward
- Rossington and Bawtry ward
- Stainforth and Barnby Dun ward
- Thorne and Moorends ward
- Tickhill and Wadworth ward
The communities within the West area are aligned into eight ward areas:
- Adwick and Carcroft ward
- Bentley ward
- Conisbrough ward
- Edlington and Warmsworth ward
- Mexborough ward
- Norton and Askern ward
- Roman Ridge ward
- Sprotbrough ward
The communities within the Central area are aligned into five ward Areas:
- Balby South ward
- Bessacarr ward
- Hexthorpe and Balby North ward
- Town ward
- Wheatley and Intake ward
For further information about specific wards and ward profiles for your area visit the Team Doncaster website.
The Wellbeing Service was created on the principal of ensuring that all residents of Doncaster have access to support, guidance and advice about problems and issues they may be experiencing, and to also maximise the individuals independence within the community regardless of any medical condition, physical disability, or mental health difficulty. The Team may be able to support you directly, or signpost you to other support agencies in the area.
Doncaster Council offer a variety of services which can be accessed by everyone. For further information about what we offer visit the Culture, Leisure and Tourism page.
The Leisure team supports numerous local partners and organisations in the development and delivery of sport and physical activity opportunities within Doncaster. The team can offer support and guidance relating to strategic planning, workforce development, strategy implementation, funding, volunteering and overall club development.
For further information, please contact us:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- tel: 01302 736000