The Civic Mayor Award is an individual award that offers formal recognition and accreditation for a young person’s outstanding contributions and achievements within Doncaster.
In 2017 Doncaster Council set out its priorities within the Children & Young People’s Plan to become the most ‘Child Friendly Borough’ in the Country. To enable us to achieve our goal we must continue to listen, inspire, guide, support and recognise the achievements and contributions of our young people.
On becoming Deputy Civic Mayor of Doncaster in 2017, Majid Khan decided that the first piece of work he would undertake when he became Civic Mayor was to recognise the contribution that young people of Doncaster make to the borough and wider society. Majid decided that an awards scheme to recognise these contributions would help to develop civic duty and inspire the people of Doncaster. Majid’s long term vision is that the award scheme will be expanded to other categories. Future New Civic Mayors will support and help to develop these awards.
As stated in our Children and Young People’s Plan, our young people themselves have said they want more to be done to ‘celebrate their successes beyond academic achievement’: they continually make positive contributions in a host of ways that deserve celebrating and The Civic Mayor of Doncaster, Mr Majid Khan, would like to acknowledge this by presenting our young people with a prestigious Civic Mayor Award.
As with many awards there are core values that all our nominated children and young people must possess:
- ‘Integrity’ the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles.
- ‘Honesty’ the quality of being truthful and open.
- ‘Resilience’ the quality of being able to overcome difficulties.
- ‘Respect’ the quality of having due regards to the wishes, feeling or rights of others.
- ‘Commitment’ the quality of being dedicated to a cause or activity.
All nominated young people will be assessed against the core values above and how they have met these, in order to be shortlisted for the prestigious Civic Mayor Award.
Make a Difference Community Award
Make a Difference School Award
Youth Voice Award
Youth Forum Group Award
Outstanding Achievement Award
Young Person of the Year Award
The Nomination Process
- Nominations can be made by anybody other than a family member
- Any child or young person can be nominated from Primary school age up to 19years of age, or up to 25 years for a young person with a special need or disability
- Nominated children and young people must live in the Doncaster Borough
- THE NOMINATION CLOSING DATE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO FRIDAY 8TH MARCH 2019
To nominate a young person/forum group for an award simply complete the online nomination form below, explaining how they have demonstrated the Core Values and why they deserve to win the award category. Please describe, giving as much information as you can, the distinguished service to the Borough, or the outstanding achievement by the nominee/s, including if possible, relevant dates and the time spent carrying out the service or achievement by the person or group you are nominating. Please remember the more information and examples you give the better chance the nominee has of winning an award.
Get in Touch
For further information please contact Mandy Burns on 01302 737061 or email:CivicMayorAward@doncaster.gov.uk