Well maintained street lighting helps reduce crime and improves public safety.
The council is committed to the provision and maintenance of quality street lighting.
We make every effort to maintain all street lights in and around Doncaster but sometimes, due to faults/failure or vandalism, street lights will stop working.
We proactively monitor our Smart lights via a computer management system which can identify faults automatically, sometimes before the light actually fails. This means we may already be aware of the fault and actively arranging repair.
However if you find a light that is not working you can report it online.
Dangerous equipment that requires urgent attention
A street light that is damaged, for example by a vehicle driving into the column or one that has been vandalised and is electrically or structurally unsafe, is classed as an emergency and we ask for your help in reporting this quickly. We will then get a qualified person on site to make it safe as quickly as possible. Please use the numbers below to report these and DO NOT report online:
- In normal office hours: 8:00am-5:00pm - Tel 01302 736000
- Out of hours: Tel 01302 341628 or 01302 323444
Before you start, we need to know:
- What the fault is
- The street light number (found around eye level on the column). This number is unique to the light and enables us to locate and repair the light as quickly as possible.
- The street name and nearest house number
- The date and time you first noticed the problem
- Your name and contact details so we can contact you if we have any issues locating the fault
We will attend all reported Street Lighting faults within 7 working days.
Please note; Increased response times may occur without this information.
If you have this information, Do it online
Requesting additional street lighting in an area
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of where the lights are needed.
Doncaster Council’s Smartlight project is a scheme to completely modernise Doncaster’s residential street lighting. Existing street lamps are being replaced with new LED (Light Emitting Diode) lamps which will result in better quality lighting, a reduced carbon footprint and financial savings. For further information visit the Smartlight Doncaster page